1. People who see the best in you, bring the best in you- and inversely. So choose who you surround yourself with carefully, as this will have a massive impact not only on how you feel, but also on how you behave, and ultimately on who you are as a person.
2. Happiness is a mindset, so the best way to achieve it is to find happy moments in the present. Much too often, people only realise how happy they could have been when it’s too late, because they were too busy worrying about the future to enjoy the moment.
3. Be grateful for what you have: a nice family, a healthy, functioning body, some good friends, a roof over your head, enough money for food and the bills, a hobby you are passionate about… Those are things we often take for granted, when in fact they are unattainable to many. Contentment is the key to a life well lived.
4. Don’t be afraid to dream big though. While you should be happy in the present and grateful for what you already have, there is nothing wrong, on the contrary, with wanting more for yourself- be it getting a promotion at work, writing a novel, taking some time off to travel, etc.
5. By setting yourself some goals and believing that you will achieve them, you are much more likely to get there. It is the whole basis of the self-fulfilling prophecy, in which behaviour, influenced by one’s own belief and expectations, causes those expectations to become true.
6. As Nike’s motto rightly says: “Just Do It”. The most difficult step towards achieving your goals, both in your professional and personal life, is to take the plunge. Don’t be afraid, push yourself, imagine how fulfilled reaching your goal will make you feel, and take the first step.
7. When was the last time you learnt something new? If you can’t remember, then it’s time to act. Learn a new hobby, a new sport, a new language, a new profession even- the body and mind need to be fed to thrive, so acquiring new skills will only make you grow further.
8. Expand your horizons, be it through travel or education. As Mark Twain rightly said: “20 years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
9. Intuition is one of the most powerful tool we possess n order to make the right decision. Of course, it’s not to say that we should be irrational and act on a whim, but it’s important to really trust your guts. If something feels right -or wrong- to you, trust your instinct.
10. Look after yourself- eat healthily, exercise, relax, rest- those are the basics to a life well lived. A candle, a hot bath, the occasional massage are great ways to unwind. If partying the night away is your thing, if they allow you to relax and have fun, then go for it, but keep safe and don’t overdo it.